Thursday, August 25, 2016

my secret dream

Ever since young, secondary school perhaps, I have this dream of living abroad. It doesn't have to be permanent, just maybe at least half a year? I just want to experience living in a foreign country. Coming from an elite school, I see many of my peers having the opportunity to do that. Because either they are super smart and got a scholarship, or their families are rich enough to fund their overseas studies, or they could be super smart and super rich too, the perfect combination to go anywhere you want in the world.

Unfortunately for me, though I am from the same so-called elite environment, I'm just so-so. I'm not super smart, and I'm not rich. My grades were decent enough to be admitted into an overseas college, but not good enough to earn a scholarship. My family is middle-class, and my mum even discouraged me from doing an exchange program when I was in NUS.

If there was one thing to regret, it would be that I didn't fight hard enough to chase my dream.

Maybe secretly, I lacked the courage to venture into a whole new arena myself.

Fast forward 10 years, I've a family now, with 2 children. That dream seemed even further now.

One day, one day.

Maybe when the kids are grown up. Big G and I can go somewhere just to live for a while.

No comments: