Monday, June 13, 2005

throbbing head

I woke up this morning feeling as if the whole world is spinning around me at 100km/h. I dragged myself out of bed, but after taking a few steps, I realized that I really must lie down. Imagine trying to walk when someone kept swinging your head back and fro. It felt HORRIBLE. On top of that I felt like puking..and I would have if there was something in my stomach. But since there wasnt any, I only managed to puke up saliva. Eek. Anyway I called up the people in charge to tell them how awful I was feeling, so maybe I can rest at home first and then make it down to Expo a while later when I feel better? I was so pissed because instead of expressing sympathy, they insisted that I go down, at least for the first few hours of the morning. The lady even said stuff like,"oh you know you're like a pleasant lady, with a nice smile.. We want you to be there.." I was like..huh??? Excuse me I'm sick, so what is the connection? I wanted to scream at her but I was too upset to do that. I know the Japanese are extremely concerned about attendance, but still? Is your job more important than my health??

So I made my way down anyway. No seats on the bus and mrt since it was peak hour. 8 am plus. Had to stand. BAD. It was like standing on a ship, feeling sea sick, or stuck in a car from Singapore to KL and suffering from car sickness.

I eventually reached Expo, after an hour odd journey. The agency people kept saying thank you thank you. "thank you for coming down hor.", "are you feeling better? We've got panadol for you.", "have you eaten? I go and buy bread for you?" zzzzz. Alright so maybe they aren't that mean after all. The girls expressed much concern too. They were like "what happened?", "Are you ok?", "you should get something to eat!". I was momentarily touched. Haha. I received much attention, and probably got asked "are you ok?" more than a dozen times today.

Training proceeded on. I'm in charge of the information counter with Angie. It's a small world out there because we realized we have many friends in common. I chose to work at the info counter, because otherwise I'll be in charge of demonstrations, and then probably would have to memorise a lot of technical terms and know how to explain the technology more explicitly. Turned out, my job isn't that easy after all. We have to serve drinks to the VIP. The Japanese are the most fastidious group of people I know. Irritating. When you serve them tea or coffee, the cup must be filled to approximately 60% full only. There is a certain position to place the cup, saucer, teaspoon, sugar and creamer when you serve coffee or tea, as in they must face the person in a certain direction. Zzzz. -_- coffee is just coffee..just drink lar! So ma fan. And yes, before we enter, we must knock twice, close door, bow, take orders, bow, bow before closing door, close door. Same procedures for serving drinks. Sigh.

Oh yes. Hand towels must be served as well. My god.

Angie and I had time to go explore the grounds. The exhibition is huge, occupying all 6 halls at expo. You guys should go take a look if you have the time. Will be much enlightened by the technology. It's opened only to trade visitors, but I guess if you have a name card, you can just register, get a pass and enter. Anyway the most exciting section is the handphones section. Samsung, LG, Motorola, Panasonic. Whoo hoo. They have really nice and huge booths. 2 stories somemore. There are even dancers hired by Panasonic to perform.

No wonder Japanese are such stressful people and they need to watch animes to de-stress. They take everything sooooooo seriously. The fact that they gave us 3 days of training says a lot. I suppose it's good to take your work seriously, and want everything to be perfect. But for such a chin cai person like me, I absolutely cant stand people who make a big fuss out of every single minute detail. Oh well, I just got to live with it for another 4 days. It's not so bad really. At the end of the day, we actually have a lot of fun.

I'm still having a headache... argh.. horrible..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post. I learn something totally new and
challenging on blogs I stumbleupon everyday.

It will always be helpful to read through articles from other authors and use a little something from other sites.


Check out my site :: diet plan to lose weight