Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Baby Heidi

Baby Heidi has arrived safe and sound on 30 June 2016, 1.04pm. I was 40 weeks + 4 overdue and was scheduled for an induction on that day. Did two long walks with Mr B the 2 days prior but to no avail; I had zero contractions or discomfort that would indicate that labour was near.

Had the epidural jab before the induction started. Was slightly fearful of the injection because the last time I took it, I was in so much labour pain that any other sort of pain will be deemed as insignificant. This time round, I was feeling very much like myself when the injection was to be administrated. Thankfully, it wasn't painful. Really. I think the anaesthetist was pretty good. Or do I just have a higher threshold of pain? Never thought of myself as one who had though.

Nurse Evelyn called it the Happidural, and indeed it was. Painless throughout the entire labour and contraction process, and I was dilating fast. Induction started at 830am and by 12.30pm, I was already 9cm dilated. I was texting and surfing the net, and then all of a sudden, it was time to push. The baby was coming!

A few rounds of pushes, and the hubby returned. So glad he didn't miss it. Dr Yang came. With Heidi, I could actually SOMETHING coming out of me from down there. It wasn't painful, but it felt like passing a big piece of ****. Which was better actually, I could push easier. Could have done it naturally, but Dr Yang said baby's heart rate dropped suddenly and we need to get her out ASAP. At one push, and vaccumed, Baby Heidi was out.

50cm, same as her sis.
3.05kg, lighter than her sis's 3.4kg. Slight guilt there, I obviously didn't feed myself as well this time.

Today is Day 6.

Baby Heidi's jaundice has gone down significantly during the review yesterday. No need for phototherapy. I attribute this to the fact my milk came in much faster this time round. She cries lesser. She is more contented. I am in lesser pain than when I had Gigi. I feel good. I feel more emotionally balanced. That all helped I guess.

Almost everyone says that Heidi is a carbon copy of her Daddy. She looks like (to be confirmed when she is older) she has double eyelids and dimples. Dimples! My goodness. Both myself and Glenn dont have. Michele has though. Her nose is bigger (like Glenn's).

Gigi has single eyelids, like Mummy. Gigi has small nose and small mouth, like Mummy. Delicate features.

Will the two sisters look very different? We shall see.

The newborn stage is so short-lived, fleeting and magical. As I hold her in my arms, I tell myself to remember this moment forever. When she is so tiny. So small. When she looks at me with those bright eyes, unable to communicate, but they hold so much hope and possibilities for the future. This is a stage all parents will miss, always, because it's so lacking in permanence.


Heidi at seconds old, fresh out of the oven

Minutes old Heidi

1 Day old

Day 3 - Big yawn  

 Day 4 - Pretty in pink, ready for her first hospital review

Day 4 - A rare smile

Day 5 - 2nd review hospital, thankfully jaundice is going down

 Day 6 - She has long fingers

Day 6


No comments: