Thursday, September 08, 2011

Unexpectedly, inspired

The world is so big, and there're so many things happening.

This feels like some kind of calling really. Today is another day at work. I just came out from a Microsoft meeting which was titled SMB/Enterprise/Education licensing. Sounds boring right? Which was exactly what I was expecting it to be - another boring briefing that I would just sit through and let my mind wander.

True indeed, my 'monkey mind' was activated. My mind drifted, but it was inspired by the discussion.

The meeting was basically about Microsoft supporting government sponsored PC/IT projects in various countries all over the world - India, Thailand, Malaysia, China.... countries which are economically less privileged.

Of course, where were my thoughts led to? My beloved Cambodia of course, since I'm in the midst of preparing a new project.

I was thinking to myself - hey, this can be initiated in Cambodia as well. Oh well, but not yet. Answer is simple. When Gandhi made the speech to the Indians to support the local congress party so as to lead the nation to independence, he said that Indians do not care who rules the country, whether it's the rich foreigners or the rich locals. What they care about is their salt, their food on the table, their crops, the very basic key substance to survival.

Without air, without water, without food, what is iPads or TVs, or the American Idol? WHO GIVES A DAMN??

I finally saw a glimpse of light - where I could possibly contribute to the society by working in a notebook company.

But Cambodia is not ready yet. I'm at the advanced stage, of the development of the standard of living.

In perhaps all civilisations, first comes the food, then the luxuries.

Being able to surf the net is a luxury.

The Cambodian kids do not even have concrete floors to step on, or electricity, or textbooks, or pencils, or shoes, or....and the list goes on....

Can you actually jump stages? From nothingness to slates?

I dont know, electricity is definitely a must. But let's say if electricity was available, do people need to progress as per what history was dictated, or could you possibly 'skip' phases?

Anyway, this question is not for now.

I need to learn. I want to do more. I want to be capable of creating more.

This is what I want to do, I think.

Hopefully in the near future, the last 2 words of my previous sentence can be eliminated.

No comments: